As a resource intended to be of interest to both old and new residents and as a reference for the future, we have provided a history section to be expanded with more material as the website develops. A rough chronological framework is used here to structure the information we have to date on Ruston Mews.
At some time during the early 1900s, Crayford Mews seems to have changed its name to Ruston Mews. The Land Registry Act of 1925 established a legal framework for registering property ownership and this may have been the impetus for the name change for the mews. Up to that point in time, proof of ownership of land could often be contested.
The first record we have of Ruston Mews is that the name was registered at the Land Registry on 13th October 1934 and was then owned by Cityland Securities Ltd of 31 Thorpe Bay Gardens, Thorpe Bay, Essex.
The mews remained in the ownership of Cityland up until it was sold to Ruston Mews Properties Ltd of Chancery House, Chancery Lane, London WC2 on 19th May 1967. It was then acquired by Roylon Developments Ltd of 55 Tweedy Road, Bromley, Kent on 30th January 1969. It was about this time that proposals for the new houses were probably in gestation. Planning records held by RBKC may throw further light on this stage of development.
Roylon sold the mews again to Roylon Investments Ltd of 17 Finsbury Square, London EC2 on 18th April 1975. A “Caution” was registered to Thomas McInerney & Sons Ltd of McInerney House, Croxley Green, Rickmansworth, Herts on 9th February 1979. This may have been the builder of the new houses but it is not known at the time, what this “Caution” was for, perhaps because the new mews development may have run into financial difficulties.
The mews was then acquired by Rockstrong Properties Ltd of 76/77 High Holborn, London WC1 on 22nd March 1979 and then by Thomas McInerney & Sons Ltd of the above address on 7th November 1979.
Ruston Mews was then finally sold to Lemdean Properties Ltd of 687 High Road, North Finchley, London N12 on 21st December 1982 and was then bought by Ruston Mews Association in April 1990.